Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Horses of a Different Color

I haven't been updating lately because there's been nothing really to update about. Kachina is growing fast, and she's losing more of her winter fuzz (how is it clinging on this long?!). She's going to end up a very pretty, burnt dun color -- not exactly buckskin, but close.

The cutting horse trainer I apprentice with told me once that, if I want to own Paints, I should stick with the sorrel-and-whites or the black-and-whites because that's what people like to see. Screw that! I like Kachina's unique color!

To be honest, I've never liked Paints. My mom loves them, but I've always thought they looked gaudy and boring (I think the only Paints or Pintos I ever thought were really beautiful was RJ, who starred in the movie Hidalgo and the mustang stallion Painted Desert, but I think I was more attracted to the horses themselves, and that made them look beautiful to me). I've always had a fondness for duns, buckskins and grullos -- especially with primitive markings -- and that was what I found attractive about Kachina's color in the beginning.

After having Kachina, I'm noticing that I've started to develop more of an appreciation for Paints. Maybe it's just loyalty blooming for my little painted pony, but more and more often I'm seeing Paint horses and thinking "Wow, that's a really beautiful horse." Despite that, however, I still prefer the more unique colors. This inspired me to find pictures of other, more uniquely colored Painted horses that I found particularly stunning. Here's what I found:

Bay Roan Paint
Black and White Paint
Grullo Paint (probably my favorite of the bunch! This horse is gorgeous! Here's another picture just for the heck of it!)
Buckskin Pinto (my second favorite -- so cute!)
Buckskin Paint
Blue Roan Paint
Black and White Paint

Starting to see a trend?

I still think Kachina's the prettiest Paint of all.

No comments:

Post a Comment