Friday, April 3, 2009

Registration Drama

I haven't updated about my uphill battle to register Kachina in a while. Mostly because there's been no progress to update about. I sent another copy of the paperwork off to The Son almost two months ago, this time having it directed to my work address, and I still haven't gotten it, even though he claims to have sent off both. Funny how two different copies sent to two different addresses at two different times can both get lost in the mail!

My next effort was to contact one of the previous owners who, supposedly, has the paperwork and offer again to pay her to find it. This is the response I got:


"I know you can not reg her that was my problem. There is NO paperwork for her, she was a rescue and the papers have been lost. I know about papers I breed paints. When I got her I got her as a rescue to help out a friend. When Holly took her I made it very clear to her that there is NO PAPERWORK for the filly. I thought she would have told you that. I hope she becomes something good papers are not everything. If she is a decent horse someone will love her. That is why her price is so cheap. Sorry I couldn't help but there is nothing I can do. All I was trying to do was save her life. If her papers were THAT important to you, you should have bought a horse that could have been registered. I can not help you I'm sorry."


Sheesh! She told me back in January that she had the papers, but she had just moved and they were all packed away and she didn't have time to find them. Now she says she doesn't have them at all (even though I've contacted the woman who runs the rescue who first took Kachina from The Son, and she says that she definitely gave this woman paperwork along with the filly).

I've called the APHA countless times to find out if I have any other option, and it seems like my only chance is to find the dam, have her and Kachina both DNA tested, then send it off. Ack! Even if I had the money to do that, I have no idea where the dam is, or if she's even still alive. Last I heard, she was weak and sick and taken to Texas back in '07.

So what now? I'm going to keep sending The Son registration application after registration application! I'll be worse than a bill collector. He'll have to cave eventually, right?

This woman said "If her papers were THAT important to you, you should have bought a horse that could have been registered." That bothered me. It's not that I won't love her and do my best with her if she isn't registered, it's that I think she deserves the best possible future she can have, and having her registered will definitely help. As a breeder of paints, I'd think she would understand that.

And The Son! Honestly, all he has to do is sign his name. I've filled out the rest, I've done the research, I even sent along a self-addressed envelope with postage! It's no skin off his nose, he doesn't even have to get off the couch to do it. Just sign his stupid name. Then I can register Kachina, and he will never have to deal with her or I again.

In a last-ditch-effort, I think I can at least register her with the PtHA, but I'm not even sure about that.

I'm printing out another copy of the APHA form now. Let's see how many I'll have to send before he breaks.

2 comments:

  1. Holy cow! That is drama. Funny you should post about it, I was going to ask you how it was going.

    I wanted to register Bandit, too. I think I really just wanted to see his name and my name on an official sheet of paper saying that he was mine. There is something special about that to me for some reason. Of course I couldn't do it through the Percheron Association, I don't even have a clue who his dam is! Or if he is full Percheron. So instead I did what I could and registered him with the National PMU Registry. That was good enough for me! :)

    I really hope this all gets worked out for you. I'd be so frustrated by now it would take all I had not to take money out of savings, fly out there, hand him the papers and say SIGN IT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. It's really frustrating! I'm sending out another copy today, so lets hope it all goes well.

    ReplyDelete