Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Hand-Me-Downs


I went to see Kachina today, but since we'd walked so long yesterday, and I had family obligations, I kept the visit brief. I mostly spent the time brushing her, taking my time and working on her aversion to having her ears touched. I also gave her a paste de-wormer, which she took without problem (seriously, this horse is perfect).

It's amazing how attached to Kachina Fancy is. She kept a very close eye on me the entire time I handled Kachina, and even put her head protectively over Kachina's back. I had to use the training stick to back her away a few times, but overall she complied. It was fun to spend time with the both of them and watch them interact with us without too much pressure. Donna says Fancy and Kachina are slowly getting better about being separated.

It was a little too dark to take pictures, but I really want to get some of Fancy the next time. She's such a beautiful horse, and what a survivor; she's had such a hard life, but she's still so sweet and social.

I should mention that the red halter I'm using for Kachina was Maverick's first halter; it came with him when I bought him (it was too small for him then). Just the thought makes me smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment