Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Investigation!

I received a reply from the woman Holly got Kachina from. This is what she had to say in her e-mail regarding Kachina's past:


"I am glad that she got a good home. I got her from a friend who has Hooves for Hope in Lompoc, California a year ago...She came from a farm in South Dakota and the man who owned these horses passed away. As his son inherited 50 pregnant mares with foals already at their side, he hated horses. He was going to sell all the horses to a slaughter house in Canada, as this plant was only a few miles from the farm. Lisa got 6 babies and tried to get more, but just did not have the funds. I am not sure what happened to the rest, but I know most went to rescue places. I know her dam is Miss Patch Pilot and her sire is Ladys Lucky Mister. I have tried to locate that reg paper and have not yet come across it. She is registered as an overo..."


This seems to confirm the story I'd heard from Holly, as well as a bit of my own research. One of the PMU Rescues that had two of Kachina's siblings said that they were from a place called "B Ranch" in North Dakota. This rescue takes over PMU farms that have lost their contracts, in order to find homes for the horses. I've already e-mailed them, so hopefully they'll reply with a few more pieces of the puzzle. I'll try locating this Hooves for Hope place to see if they have anything.

However, with fifty pregnant mares, all with sucklings already, it's even more likely that this place actually was a PMU farm.

I've contacted the APHA and the AQHA to see if there were any options to register her without a breeding certificate, but apparently there's not. If I don't get her paperwork, I may have to settle with just registering her with the PtHA.

1 comment:

  1. My gelding, Sundancer, was a PMU yearling when I adopted him from United Pegasus Foundation. He was from a farm in Michigan. That's all I know about him. He's a quarter horse...was VERY scared of gates and balked a LOT when I first got him. Now he's relaxed more, but he's still spooky. I am going to work with him this summer since we're too poor to go on vacation!!!

    ReplyDelete