Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Red Blanket

It's freezing cold here! Well, "freezing cold" for the Bay Area at least. I'm glad Kachina's blanket came; she'll get a lot of use out of it this week. She was still perfectly fine with me putting it on and wearing it around the paddock, and I've gotten to the point where I can let it hang over her face and she won't get nervous.

It's been so wet that I haven't done much work with her, other than basic handling and working on her ears. Hopefully today will stay dry enough that I can safely take her on another walk through the park.

Donna told me last week that she thought Kachina would be a good competitor in Ranch Trail Competition (you can see video of it here and here). I've been looking at videos and reading up on it, and it looks like a lot of fun. I have to agree, if Kachina shows this same level of confidence and willingness as she gets older, I think she'd do really well in it. So today, I'm going to work on setting up some scary things and, if we go for a walk, finding tricky things on the trail to desensitize her to. Donna, who used to compete in Trail Competitions herself, said she'd help me design some real monsters for Kachina.

I love having such a young horse, but sometimes I can't wait to be able to ride her. I just know she's going to be an amazing horse; she has so much potential, and it's really exciting to work with her. Now I just have to find some cows for her to meet...

No comments:

Post a Comment