Thursday, January 29, 2009

Success!

I just got off the phone with the APHA and it looks like I can register Kachina! All I need is the signature of the person who owned the sire and the dam at the time of breeding -- which The Son already agreed to do last night -- and then I can send in my application and payment (that's the other tricky part, seeing as I have no money) and then she's good to go!

Later today I'll call The Son, get his address, and send off the form along with a pre-addressed envelope. Then I just try to scrape together the fee while I anxiously await the paperwork's return. Then it's off to the registry, and then Kachina will be a registered Paint.

Hopefully I can register her with the AQHA through the APHA. The APtH won't be a problem, or so their rep told me. I guess they're a pretty loose registry.

Why is it so important to me to get Kachina registered? I don't plan on ever selling Kachina, but the fact is we can't predict the future. If something unexpected happens to me, she'll have a much better chance at finding a good home if she has papers. Also, if she's ever lost or stolen (not a big concern around here, but..), I can prove she's mine with her paperwork. And if I ever want to compete in the big shows, she'll have to be registered.

It's my obligation to make sure she has a good life -- with or without me -- and lives up to her full potential. The more she's registered, the more likely that will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment