Monday, May 25, 2009

Memorial Day

Memorial Day, to me, has always meant more than remembering just military heroes. It's a time to reflect on those who have helped me become the person I am, or given me the opportunity to lead the life I do, and who have made the roads I take easier by paving the path ahead of me.

I have a long list that includes both humans and animals, as my experiences with both have helped to shape my view of the world today. They're all equally important, but since this blog is ultimately about horses, I felt inclined to talk about my first equine teacher.

I've mentioned a horse named Sage in this blog before. Sage was my mother's horse, a red roan Appaloosa mare that she bought as a filly for $125.

Sage was a true, classic Appaloosa, right down to her Indian Shuffle. She's the reason why I love the breed -- and horses in general -- and to this day I still secretly crave an Appy (well, maybe not so secretly; just don't tell Maverick and Kachina!).

She was the ultimate teacher: patient, loving, wise and, when she needed to be, firm. A horse of all trades, she often went from being a baby sitter in the morning, a barrel horse in the afternoon, a parade horse in the evening and a ranch horse the next day. It was on Sage that my mother won over 300 barrel racing trophies -- sometimes competing in two or three gymkhanas a day! My mom and Sage were very close to going pro, but she got pregnant with my older sister and rodeos just sorta fell by the wayside.

I have a picture of me at ten-months-old, bareback and alone on Sage, while my mom lunged her around the round pen. She was that good. That was how I started riding, and Sage was my first partner.

Sage and my mom had the kind of connection I can only dream of having with a horse. Mom would leave her untied to do chores, and Sage would stand where she was put. When she wanted her, mom would whistle and call her name, and Sage would perk her ears and trot off after her. Mom could lunge her at liberty in an open space, even in the middle of a park or out on trail. I remember times, as a kid, when I was on her back in the round pen while my mom cleaned stalls. She'd call out "Woah" and Sage would stop, then say "Turn. Walk," and she'd make an about-face and start walking in the opposite direction.

The most amazing story of their bond, however, was on the day that I was born: Mom was six months pregnant with me (yep, I'm premature), and riding in a parade. She went to get Sage from the arena, when she discovered that a boarder's stallion had gotten loose and jumped the arena wall to get to Sage. Mom ran in to get her when the stallion attacked her; Mom was kicked in the stomach and she was in so much pain that she couldn't stand, she could only crawl away as the stallion reared and stomped. Then, to her horror, Sage attacked the stallion, giving my grandfather enough time to jump into the arena and carry Mom out while my Grandmother and help secured the stallion and Sage.

Both Mom and I nearly died, I'm told; obviously we all made it out fine -- except the stallion; he was shot -- but I can't help but think that it would have ended differently if Sage hadn't stepped in to defend her "herd."

Many people don't believe me when I tell them that story, and that's fine; Mom has the scar to prove it.

Unfortunately, the area where I live isn't hospitable to horses. The city was building a new freeway, and they wanted to use the land where our stable was to park their trucks and equipment. They did everything they could to push us out of there. Finally, they muscled my Grandmother enough that she was forced to sell to the city, and that meant selling the horses. Mom couldn't sell Sage, so Gramma made the hard choice; she sold her when my mom was away.

I'm told that Sage was sold to a man for his grandchildren, and she taught them how to ride. Then she was given to his nephew, and taught his children. When it was time to retire her, she lived in their pasture until the end of her days. Losing her broke my mom's heart, and I'm sure it affected Sage as well, but I can't think of a more fitting life for such an amazing horse.

My mom couldn't ride horses again until I bought Maverick. She told me that he was the first horse she loved after losing Sage. When I bought Kachina, she told me that she was Sage reborn -- something I took as a glowing compliment.

I'll have to dig up a picture of Sage and scan it. She really was beautiful, ratty tail and all!

3 comments:

  1. I love appies too - I rode a wonderful gelding appie named Peanut Butter when I was a teenager. Love their intelligence, and their wispy manes and tails, and striped hooves. Haven't had one since, but maybe someday! Your story of your mother and Sage is a lovely one - thank you for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing story! Your mom and Sage had an awesome connection. How scary it must have been for your mom being attacked by that stallion! I have been attacked by a horse but nothing like what you mom went through!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a story! I hope you can post a photo of Sage, I would love to see her.

    ReplyDelete