Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Sage

Since a few of you asked, I scrounged up some pictures of Sage.


This was Sage when she was younger; two, according to my mom. Her mane was a beautiful white that darkened as she aged. (One of her foals, Billy, changed color drastically as well; he went from a coal black foal, to sorrel, to pure white, to a silvery coat similar to his mother's):


This is Sage at five. You can see how the red came into her mane later:


This is my mom playing around on Sage. If mom looks freakishly short, that's because she is. Seriously, I'm 5'5" and I can pretty much eat soup off her head. (ok, some of it is also bad lighting, but she is really short!):


Mom and Sage warming up before a parade. They rode in the Black Cowboy Parade every year, and they often dressed up. My favorite picture is of Mom dressed up in traditional Native dress, riding Sage bareback. It hangs on the wall (it's big, no way to scan it!). A salute to our Native blood! Not sure about the hat-and-jacket combo in this picture; mom usually had much better fashion sense, I swear!:


And a bonus! I stumbled onto this picture of my grandmother and grandfather and instantly loved it, so I decided to post it too:


(by the way, the horse in that picture is Billy Chico, the sire of Sage's aforementioned foal, Billy)

6 comments:

  1. Old photos like these are such a treasure! Thanks for sharing them with us. Sage was a beauty, for sure. And girl, your mom and grandma are absolutely gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful old photos - you're very lucky to have them and thanks for sharing them with us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome pictures! I love looking through my mom's and grandparent's old horse pictures, it makes me wish I was born back then instead.
    It seems that colorful horses run in your family! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great photos! I love looking at all the old family photos, especially the horse ones.
    Sage was a beauty! Funny how they change in color!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love old photos! Thanks for sharing yours with us!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks guys! I love old photos too, especially of the animals.

    And, yes, colorful horses are a family trait (my mom loves Paints as well as Appys). I always tease Mom that she's genetically set up to love Appys and has no choice.

    We can't help it, we're genetically set up to like our spotted ponies. Personally, however, I love a good Grullo, Dun or Buckskin (it's the Siksika blood in me, maybe). A Buckskin/Dun/Grullo Appy with a blanket would just make me melt.

    ReplyDelete