Friday, May 8, 2009

Mother's Day

My mother and I have a tradition of making, not buying, gifts for each other on special days. For Christmas last year I gave her a charcoal drawing of Sage, an Appaloosa mare who was my first teacher and babysitter, and with whom my mother had a particularly close, deep, and almost mystical connection with. The year before that, I gave her a handmade plushie of Maverick (my first adventure into sewing which, amazingly, hasn't fallen apart yet).

I've been so busy lately that I haven't had time for any art; the last time I drew anything was last July! So I knew I wanted to draw my mom a picture for Mother's Day, and Kachina was my muse!

It was meant to be just a sketch, but she's so colorful that I couldn't resist messing around with it in Photoshop. Now, after a week, it's finally done! Well..that's not true, I'll probably fiddle around with it between now and Sunday, since I never seem to be satisfied with the completion of a project. But let's call it done anyway!

To anyone who has ever cared for, and loved, another living thing - human, animal or flora - Happy Mother's Day! I hope you get everything you deserve and more!

3 comments:

  1. Oh wow, this is so beautiful and sweet, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy cow! You've got some major talent there.
    That's really sweet that you and your Mom hand make eachother gifts. What sort of things has she made for you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys!

    Other than life, my mom has given me a huge watercolor and color pencil painting of Whisper and Maverick in the "wild", a Navajo-style horse hair pot using Maverick, Rico and Gypsy's hair (that's not it in the picture, but it looks similar, but it's a really cool sandy color!), and miniature painted Breyer models of Maverick and Whisper, just to name a few. My momma is very artistic!

    ReplyDelete