Friday, May 29, 2009

Bittersweet

Tomorrow will be the last day for a whole month that I'll be able to see Kachina freely, as I have been. Mostly, my trouble is trying not to be selfish and ignoring what's best for her just because I want her close. Plus, I have to remember that her intended future is that of a performance horse; I have to give her the best shot at reaching her potential, and that's just not going to happen if she's sitting in a stall getting treats and pets from me (she'll still get them on Saturdays, though!). It really is like sending your kid off to college.

Even though I've made my decision, and I believe that it was the best one for Kachina, tomorrow will be bittersweet.

Sunday, Mom and I will be trailering her to La Grange. We'll probably take our time and make the drive somewhat leisurely, so I'll be sure to take lots of pictures of me and Kachina's first road trip together! Of course, it'll probably be very uneventful (that's a good thing, though, isn't it?).


On an unrelated note: If any of you are following Kachina's Twitter you probably know that my grandfather was taken to the hospital last night. As of Midnight they hadn't found what was wrong with him, so they were planning to do a CAT scan. I don't know anything else yet, but I'm hoping there will be some information soon. The results may affect Kachina's trip to La Grange, obviously.

4 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about your grandfather - hope things go well there. At least you know that Kachina will be coming back closer to you when things get back to normal, and it sounds like she should benefit from her trip. Good luck with the trailering - you're right, uneventful is the object!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really hope your grandfather is going to be okay!
    I think you made a good choice for Kachina, you're right about giving her the best shot for reaching her potential. If it were me, I probably wouldn't have been able to get over my own selfishness! :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear about your grandfather. Hopefully it's nothing serious and he will be home soon.

    It sounds like you feel good about the decision you made about Kachina. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry to hear about your grandfather! Sending lots of good thoughts your way!
    I think you made a good decision about Kachina! She will be well taken care of, and you will be even more excited to see her! Hope your trip is uneventful!

    ReplyDelete