Monday, June 1, 2009

Chapter Two

Plans changed this weekend, due to Granpa's hospitalization. I didn't want to be two-plus hours away from home, so my trainer came down to pick Kachina up instead. It was incredibly hard to load Kachina into the trailer and watch them drive away, even though I completely trust her with my trainer, and I knew I would see her Saturday.

This must be how our clients feel when they leave their dogs with us at daycare for the first time! I kept repeating the mantra that I tell all of the puppy parents: It's easier on them if you just wave goodbye and leave. Don't make it a big deal. Although I did whisper assurances that I had not sold her, and that I would see her soon, in her ear as I slipped the halter on.

Despite my sudden neurosis, Kachina trailered perfectly. My trainer called to say she had made it alright, and that he was really surprised and impressed at how well she traveled, how polite and easy she was to handle. This made me feel better. He promised to take her out today and watch how she moves; I'm trying hard to wait for him and not to call and check on her.

It feels like a new chapter is starting for Kachina and our journey together. She isn't a baby anymore, and we've both taken our first big step into the "big league." Hopefully we can keep moving forward together at a good pace.

And for those of you who left well wishes for my grandfather, I sincerely thank you. They must've paid off because, miraculously, they're sending him home tomorrow! I have to admit that I was scared and, for a while there, it didn't look good. I have no doubt that all of your kind thoughts helped his recovery in some way. So, again, thanks.

3 comments:

  1. That is wonderful news about your grandfather!

    And it's good to hear about how well Kachina traveled. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy to hear that your grandfather is doing so well, and gets to come home! Yeah!
    Kachina is a good girl for being such a good traveler! I know you will miss her!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad your grandfather is doing better - and that Kachina seems to be making the transition well! Keep us posted on her progress!

    ReplyDelete