Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Assessment

I called my trainer yesterday (it was really, really hard to wait until the evening!) to make sure Kachina didn't bust up any stalls or break down any fences or any of the other horrible things I imagined. He said that she acclimated to the stall very well, and continues to be on her best behavior (that's my girl!). I asked him his opinion of her, and this is what he told me:

- She looks good and strong, with a nice chest, nice hindquarters and very strong, straight legs, which he really liked.

- She looks like she'll end up being high in the front so, when we do start her, he wants to teach her to collect and flex at the poll right away so that she doesn't carry her head too high.

- Her front end looks powerful, which will allow her to push off of it and pivot after a cow easily.

- She has a nice, strong neck.

- She's very smart and has a good attitude.

- She's very curious and easy going, and doesn't show much fear to new things.

- She travels well and acclimates quickly and easily to new environments, which will be a very good thing when we start going to shows.

Yay! Her first report card was a good one! I'm hoping to be able to start her real training soon, but for now I'm just happy that she's safe and doing well at the trainer's.

He also said, with a chuckle, "I'll tell your 'baby' that you called. You won't hear me say that word too often, but I want you to know that I respect my clients."

He's learning.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds very good so far - you have a very nice horse!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That must make you feel really good to hear such nice things about your girl coming from a pro! He sounds like a nice guy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful! Sounds like everything is going well, and that Kachina is adjusting to her new home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a good girl she is! And stellar "report card" too! :-)

    ReplyDelete