Monday, June 22, 2009

Initiation

Last night, in my post about my grandfather, I mentioned my little mishap with a stallion. So here's the full story:

Hootie is a pretty little three-year-old, sorrel-and-white Paint stallion, and an up-and-coming penning horse. He's a sweet little thing who loves attention, and about as docile as you can expect any young stud to be.

My trainer had me saddle Hootie up and get on. Then he asked me to do some walking exercises with him outside of the arena, and I did, and he was fantastic, even when it came to walking past a few nickering mares. Like I said, he's a good-natured little guy, and he's been started well.

So, then we move into the arena. The sprinkler's going, and that causes him a bit of concern (or maybe I was concerned that he was concerned and that, in turn, made him concerned!), so we kept to one side and worked in circles. When we got the full arena, we worked at a walk, and then a trot.

Then my trainer asked for a lope. No big deal. We loped fine around the arena several times, la-de-da, when suddenly he starts to buck. Now, I don't know if it was as bad as it felt, but up there in the saddle he was bucking. At least, I've been on horses that have bucked before, and this was nothing like that. And not bucking in one spot either, like I'm used to, but bucking down the entire length of the arena.

Now, unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it), I don't have much experience with bucking horses. Like I said, I've ridden out a few bucks, but not that many and not that hard. And I will admit, I froze. I froze wearing spurs. Not good. I knew I should have dropped my feet and snatched up his head, and I heard my trainer shouting instructions, but I just couldn't make my body do what my head was telling it.

However, I was ok with the bucking -- at least, that wasn't what worried me; I was pretty confident that I could ride it out. It was the fact that we were quickly approaching the arena wall, and Hootie wasn't slowing down. We crashed into the wall and Hootie reared up, and I suddenly remembered that I was in Oxbow stirrups. Oxbows are designed to be ridden with your entire foot in, not just the ball, and keep your foot from slipping out. I don't like these stirrups. Maybe it's because, all my life, I've heard "Don't put your foot in! Ride on the ball!". I just haven't gotten the hang of using them.

Anyway, my first reaction is to get my foot out of the stirrups. Then I see the horse tipping over, and I blank. Now, my biggest fear has always been a horse falling over on me. I've heard all sorts of horror stories, I've known people who have broken their leg, back or pelvis that way. So, I'm thinking, crap, I'll get out of this with a broken leg at best.

I hit the ground first, and I'm trying to make my body move, but it won't. Then the horse lands on me. Surprisingly, it didn't hurt -- it actually felt really soft, considering it's a huge freakin' animal. I was positive that I'd be injured, so it was completely shocking to me that I wasn't. I wanted to get up right away and get the horse, but my trainer wouldn't let me. He actually had to push me (gently, of course) back down and make me sit still, even though I kept trying to convince him that I was perfectly fine.

Of course, afterward, I understand why: when your adrenaline's pumping, you can't feel pain, so you may be hurt and not know it. Fortunately, I really was fine.

You'll all be proud to know that I got back on Hootie, and continued loping, and he was fine. I'd be lying if I told you that I wasn't nervous, which was a strange feeling; I can't remember ever feeling nervous about riding. But Hootie was fine, and after a few times around the arena, I was too. And I assured Hootie that there were no hard feelings (in fact, I like him more now).

I was sore by the time I got home, though (we left early, because I got the news about my grandfather right after riding), and really sore yesterday. Today I'm stiff, but not in quite as much pain.

But I've been officially inducted into the Cowgirls of America Association, and I'm not quite so afraid of having a horse fall over on me (although I certainly do not want to tempt fate and let it happen again).

Speaking of initiations, I'm told Kachina finally got a barn name: "Julie" -- after me, of course. I'm disappointed and proud at the same time.

4 comments:

  1. So glad you're OK - just bruised but not broken. Having a horse fall on me is one of my worst fears, too. Sounds like you and Hootie both lost track of what you were doing during the melt-down - it's sure easy to freeze up like that. The fact that he was OK afterwards - and that you were OK to ride him - says a lot about both you and him. I expect you'll be even sorer tomorrow (the third day rule)! I had my own little mishap yesterday - not as scary as yours - so I'll be thinking of you as I nurse my own bruises!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know exactly what went on in your head while he was bucking, the same thing that went on in mine a few years ago when Fritzy did the same thing. While the bucking was going on, I literally froze and told myself I could ride through it. Yeah right! Like you, I also thought, why didn't I take control of the situation? I just sat there like a sack of potatos! I have pretty much told myself after I kept questioning myself, that I was in shock and really felt that she'd only buck a few times, I'd ride it out, than we'd be done and continue our ride. Unfortunately that is not what happened.
    I am so glad you are ok! I have only had one horse fall on me, but that was when I was 15 yrs old. It isn't as bad as I thought it would be either!
    Please heal quickly, and thank goodness, no broken bones or serious injuries! Oh, and way to cowgirl up and get back on and ride!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I read yesterday about your grandpa and about the horse falling on you but you were ok, I had a feeling your grandpa had something to do with that. Now after reading the whole story and how it didn't even hurt at all when Hootie fell on you...I really think he was with you.

    Hope you recover quickly.
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kate - I saw your post! Ouch, that looked like it hurt. I'm so glad that you're ok.

    Paint Girl - That's exactly what I was thinking! "I can handle this," and I thought it wouldn't go on for so long, and that he'd stop at the wall, not crash into it! I was in total shock too. And it was funny, I expected to be crushed under him, but he actually fell kinda softly. Go figure.

    Kathleen - That thought crossed my mind, too. Especially, as I learned later, since the mishap with the stallion happened right around the same time that my grandfather took his last breath. I'm sure that he was protecting me somehow.

    ReplyDelete