Thursday, June 18, 2009

Cowboy Mounted Shooting

Ok, so about a month ago, at my trainer's, the other apprentice and I were talking about what kind of equine sports we'd like to try after penning that doesn't involve cattle (because I love cattle, and most of the things I want to try next involve cattle, i.e. roping and reining cow horse). Well, I said I'd like to try Versatility Ranch Horse, but what I'd really love to do is Cowboy Mounted Shooting.

Well, at the Horse Expo on Sunday the California Range Riders had a booth and demo (it was a CRR booth, not CMSA -- ignore my Twitter, it doesn't know what it's talking about!). I absolutely fell in love! The gentleman at the booth was extremely friendly, patient and helpful, and I found out that there are classes and such in Navato, about forty-five minutes away from me! He also gave me a free copy of Western Shooting Horse Magazine, which I've been obsessively pouring over since I got my hands on it.

Unfortunately, as much as I really want to try it, the sport looks expensive. Guns alone can cost hundreds of dollars -- then there's ammunition, travel expenses, costumes...eek! As you guys know, the two things I'm shortest on are free time and funds.

The other problem is the horse. I love Maverick to death, and I think he'd be good at it as far as the guns and balloons and the noise -- he doesn't spook at anything! -- but his handle leaves much to be desired, and he's just so lazy! So that leaves Kachina, who will probably be fantastic at it, since she's more inclined to be curious about scary things than afraid. However, the little girl just turned two in May, so I've a long way to go before I can ride her that hard. Besides, she's a cow horse first! Gotta train for one thing at a time!

Still, I'd really like to try it someday. I'm doing all the research I can (yeah, I'm a bit O.C.D.) -- signing up for mailing lists, following blogs, talking to people. I might subscribe to the magazine, too. Also, there's an Old West Gun Shop not far from me. Hmm..I wonder how much a gun safety course will cost..

Poor Kachina, my future cow/roping/shooting/what ever's next horse! She has no idea what she's in for!

4 comments:

  1. OMG, that would be so fun! I love shooting, (and women are usually better at it then men.) There was a horse archery clinic in my state a few years ago that I would have loved to go watch, but I never made it out there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've watched some mounted shooting on t.v. and read a little about it. It sounds like a lot of fun. You are right though, guns are spendy and the ammo, very spendy! My other half and I go shooting quite a bit, but it would be so different on the back of a horse! I don't know how my little Arab would do with that. But she has surprised me in a lot of ways!
    Maybe someday Kachina can become a horse of many talents!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathleen: I'd love to try mounted archery too! How elegant. I just love the partnership between horse and rider in such sports. Maybe it'll come back around? And, yes, the gentleman at the booth said that there are more women than men in his association lately!

    Paint Girl: Eek! Well, since it sounds like most of the clinics are BYOH (bring your own horse), and I have a few years until Kachina can do it, I have some time. Maybe I can get some second-hand six shooters..

    Kachina's going to be a true ranch pony!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, I have something for you over at my blog!!

    ReplyDelete