Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Special Day

Today is a very special day! No, not Cinco de Mayo; today is Kachina's birthday! Everyone's favorite painted pony is now officially two-years-old and, although she's technically a filly until she's four, to me it's still a big stepping stone for a horse. Now it's time to introduce more of the Big Mare concepts she'll need for the real world. Not to mention that it's extra-special because it's her first birthday that we've spent together. It's just too bad that it's so rainy and ugly out -- not good picture taking weather.

Now the issue is To Start or Not To Start. I'm from the old school teaching of "Start 'em young and easy" -- meaning start a horse around twenty-four to twenty-eight months, but start them very slow and light, with no pressure and no strain.

Of course, there's also the thought that horses shouldn't be started until they're four, five, six-years-old to ensure that their joints and bones are all set and strong. This makes a lot of sense, and I certainly want to ensure that Kachina lives a very long and healthy life. I've been giving her calcium supplements for just this reason.

There's also the fact, however, that she's going to (hopefully) be a performance horse, and as such I need to be sure that she has a fair shot against the competition. That means allowing her the time to learn, train and practice. Most penning horses are started early.

You can bet I've been talking to as many people as possible -- trainers, competitors, veterinarians, old-time-cowboys, English riders and just your average horse person -- to learn about their experiences and get their advice on the subject, and I'll continue to do so. If anyone wants to share they're opinion, I'd love to hear it (just be nice, of course!).

Besides all that, Kachina's growing up big and healthy! I measured her weight Sunday and she's almost 700 lbs! I don't know if that's normal for a two-year-old, but when I first got her she was only about 500 lbs. Way to go Kachina!

Hopefully the light will allow me to take pictures of her, and show off how much she's changed since I first saw her in December. The difference is amazing to me. It's like I came to visit her one morning and she was suddenly a horse!

Hmm..what to get her for her birthday?

6 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Kachina!

    Hope you get some good pictures, I could never get tired of looking at that beautiful girl! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Start 'em young and easy. She's 2 already!

    Look at the best human athletes (Tiger Woods, Lebron James): they've been doing it their whole lives!

    I think there is an *increased* risk of injury if you start pushing a fully adult animal in new ways.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday to Kachina!

    I can't really give any advice on when to start. On one hand I agree with waiting and on the other I agree with slow n' easy. I mean, it's not like you're going to run her into the ground, right? So what would be the harm in slow walks or 15 minute rides...

    I also think that it depends on how well she is taking training mentally. If she handles things like a baby or handles them with a been there, done that attitude.

    Your in the best position to make that judgement call! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. ^ Ugh, poor grammar! I meant "You're in the best position..."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for all the birthday wishes and advice!

    ReplyDelete