Thursday, May 28, 2009

What Would You Do?

So, I'm facing a tough decision regarding Kachina -- probably the toughest decision I've had to make since buying her -- and I only have until this weekend to make it.

The situation: Donna and Tony are going out of town for about seventeen days starting next week. Fancy is going to be boarded at another place, which leaves Kachina alone. I can't be there in the morning to feed her, due to work, so I'll need to board her somewhere as well for that time.

At the stable down the street, where Maverick stays, it would be about $300 for just those two weeks. The trainer I apprentice with said that he'd board (not train) her for a month for me, because I'm in his program, for $300.

The problem: If she's at the stable with Maverick, I can see her just about every day, same as now. However, for the same price I can have her with my trainer -- whom I trust and can evaluate her potential as a cow horse -- for a longer amount of time. But she'd be in La Grange, two hours drive away without traffic, and I'd only be able to see her on Saturdays when I go up to train.

Either option costs the same.

So, what would you guys do? Would you board her at the more expensive stable for two weeks, but be able to see her every day? Or would you put her with your trainer, who is an old friend of the family and who you trust, get her evaluated and, possibly, give her a little nudge on her road to being a penning horse (but I stress, she won't be getting official training -- I can't afford it right now. Just advice, and getting familiar with the work), but see her less often.

The kicker is that I have to decide by, well, tomorrow. Donna and Tony are taking Fancy on the third, which means that if I move her to La Grange it'll have to be Saturday.

Eek.

(And just so you guys don't think I'm a total flake, I had a plan to board her at the stable in Richmond with Rico and Gypsy weeks ago, but it fell through, so this is a last minute thing. I do plan things ahead, I swear!)

Edit: Thanks for the advice, guys (and keep it coming, I love hearing your opinions)!

I think I'm going to take her up to my trainer, at least for this month, since I have to get her out rather quickly. I'm just trying to think of it as a sort of "camp" -- she'll go for a month and be away from me, but she'll be exposed to new things and learning under the professional care of someone I can trust. Then, when it's over, we can continue working and learning together.

Jeeze, it's like sending your kid off to college or something!

5 comments:

  1. Yikes! Well, I'm a horse lover but have never owned one, so I don't think I'm qualified to give advice, lol. Best of luck in making a decision you feel good about. I'll just say that my first instinct would be to keep her close to home and keep building on the bond you two share. Whatever feels best to you is probably the right decision.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Which situation is better for Kachina - is one place better in terms of care/turnout, etc.? Is it important for you to keep seeing her and working with her with some frequency at this point in your relationship? Is it important for her to be under the care of your trainer, whom you say you trust? It is a hard decision - there's probably no wrong answer - only you can really make it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you hire someone to feed her in the morning and just keep her where she is?

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a toughie, I really agree with what Kate said though.
    If it were Bandit, I'd want him close just because I'd want to make sure he was alright. But if I knew the people and trusted them, I'd probably be okay with a weekend deal.
    I don't think anyone thinks you're a flake! It's a really hard decision. I sent a filly of mine off to a trainer once and didn't get to see her for weeks, so at least you have better options that I had! :P
    Keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think sending her to your trainer is the best option, even though you won't get to see her as much. Sounds like you know the trainer very well and she will be well cared for, and like you said will get exposed to more stuff.
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete