Saturday, February 21, 2009

Firsts

Yesterday was pretty clear. P and I spent the first part of the visit cleaning up manure (it's amazing how much only two horses can produce!), then I decided it was time to bring out the cap gun my friend Kelli gave me and work on some tougher desensitizing.

I started off with the toy gun empty, just getting them used to the loud clicking when I pulled the trigger. It did make Kachina nervous -- and Fancy too -- which, of course, resulted in more poop. But after a while they got used to it, so I loaded the caps in.

Unfortunately, toys are toys, and the caps wouldn't fire. So much for my master plan! We did manage to make a few go off, which frightened Kachina, but it wasn't consistent enough to really desensitize her too. Oh well! I was happy to see that, even though she was nervous about the sound, she was also very curious and stretched her nose out a few times to sniff the toy gun. A good sign!

Toward the end of the visit I caught a glimpse of Kachina "squirting" (those who've dealt with mares know exactly what I mean, I'm sure!). I guess it's a sure sign that Winter's coming to a close. I've heard so many horror stories about mares in heat, but I've never really had to deal with it (Gypsy has such quiet heat cycles that you can barely tell when she's in season), and it's something I was a little nervous about when buying Kachina. I don't know how long she's been in heat, but I haven't noticed any real change in her personality, except she's been maybe a tiny bit more fussy. I hope she keeps a level temperament. Does it even affect them much when they're that young? Does it change as they get older?

Today Kelli will be bringing her riding instructor up to meet Maverick to see if he'll be a good horse for her to continue her lessons on. I'll be interested to see someone else evaluate my horse. Of course, I'm biased.

1 comment:

  1. Desensitizing your horse with a cap gun! I have not tried that one! We've been through ropes, blankets, umbrellas, plastic bags...but the more the better I think.

    I do know about the manure. I clean up after two horses myself everyday. I tell my friends I don't go to a gym, I go to the barn. Mucking is a workout.

    By the way, there's an award for you at my blog. Stop by and check it out!

    ReplyDelete