Thursday, February 19, 2009

Hay Day

There was a break in the rain yesterday, so I swapped my Wednesday for Saturday and took the day off to fetch some hay from the race track. Which meant we spent most of the morning bucking oat hay, something I'm not very good at it.

It was warm enough to take the blankets off, which meant lots of rolling, and then lots of brushing. Kachina's winter coat is falling off in blankets; it just keeps coming no matter how much I brush!

For the past few weeks Odin, Donna and Tony's old German Shepherd, has taken to picking on Kachina and nipping at her legs. Yesterday, she saw her opportunity and ran him over, rolling him under her. She was careful not to step on him, but it still freaked me out and I checked him over obsessively. Odin was fine, of course, although embarrassed. I guess Kachina finally got tired of his bullying.

After Kachina I went to visit Maverick and the others. It was much too muddy out there to do much more than take Mav for a spin bareback, and let the horses graze a little while their stalls were cleaned. I'll be happy when everything dries up again.

Kachina's getting so much taller, and she's lost her hay belly. It's almost time for her to graduate to her adult halter!

No comments:

Post a Comment